Monday 8 September 2008

CONTACT DETAILS

I hope by now everyone has recovered from the mammoth amount of updating I did in the last couple of days ... I'm sorry for the verbal diarrhoea, and it will probably stop now I have a regular net connection. Today was my first day at uni here, and I'm sure there'll be a blog about it sometime later, maybe at the end of the week when I can better judge how things are going - suffice to say I feel quite a bit out of my depth right now!

Maybe it's because of this that I would really appreciate some kind of contact other than email or blog-comments (though these are much liked!) ... and possibly something to put up around the house or create an illusion of being elsewhere (anyone who wants to send me Western shower gel, deodorant, a pair of casual trainers UK size 9, or some nice coffee is more than welcome! Chocolate never went amiss either.) So, I made some address printouts. If they load up you should be able to just save them as images to your hard drive, and then print them out to stick on items of post. I personally think a better idea is to print one copy and then photocopy any further ones, because photocopier toner is far less likely to smudge or become illegible if it gets exposed to wet (rain, snow, it's all possible here!)




EDIT - SECOND LAYOUT DELETED BECAUSE IT WAS INCORRECT! IF YOU SENT MAIL USING THIS LAYOUT DONT BE SURPRISED IF IT DOESNT GET TO ME. REALLY SORRY EVERYONE!

The telephone numbers are so the postmen can call us if we are not in when the mail arrives (honestly, I have no idea how it works here, we don't have a letterbox or anything - I don't even know where to go if I'm not in when post comes, and if I'm at university then I don't see how I'll be able to answer my phone even!). When I gave Lucy my address I also included the Pinyin (ie: transliteration of the Chinese), but I don't think this is necessary as long as people are printing the characters and they are coming out clearly. You may need to resize in Word or Paint or whatever you use - just make sure it looks CLEAR! If you are absolutely pedantic and worried no one will be able to read it, you may add the following to the address.



Yes, it's quite a lot smaller. But that's because I don't think it's 100% necessary (and also because when I was sizing it, it was supposed to fit alongside the Chinese and still be able to go on a postcard!) ... Anyway, that's how to get in touch with us, sorry it all looks a bit complicated, and also I'm not sure if I should have put the address on backwards (you know, Country, Region, Street, House Number, Room Number) - I don't think it will make THAT much difference. Lucy, by the way, your letter to me still hasn't arrived, but I got impatient and want everyone else to start trying to send me things and we'll find out how this system works (or doesn't). On that note, would people mind telling me if the postcards I sent to them have reached their destinations? I posted them at least 10 days ago now.

4 comments:

vani said...

hahaha, nice! that's very exciting looking. i hope stuff gets to you ok, i'll have to try a letter or two before i put anything particularly interesting in....

Unknown said...

What is your name?
Don't I need to write it also?
All I know is H J.
And I think I remember Marcia saying it's Harry.

Harry said...

hmm, my name would be quite useful i suppose. but then again probably not wholly necessary, i mean, i know i live here, no one else lives here apart from my housemate (also foreign).

but for anyone who doesnt know, feel free to address to Harry Joseph, Mr H Joseph, H Joseph Esq., or any variation thereof. HJ would do fine im sure though.

Xi Han said...

Postcards are quite a funny one in China, or at least in Urumqi. As they are considered low-priority, they are put into a pile of mail that will go out more or less when they feel like it. This means some postcards arrive within a suitable amount of time (2 weeks, say), and others (like my first lot) take 3 and a half months. I've been told best thing to do is put them into an envelope and sent that. It's considered higher priority. I love that in China, 'higher priority' effectively means: 'will get sent', and lower priority means 'ooh, I wouldn't bet on it, son'...