Tuesday 19 August 2008

Lastminute Changes

Even the best laid plans go bad ... my idea was to arrive in Shanghai, hole up there for a day or so, and have a train booked with soft-sleeper carriage to Urumqi all ready and waiting for me to hop on and go. My friends in China were going to book one for me this week, and it was all going to go smoothly. That is, until this morning when she texts me to say that only hard-sleeper carriages are available and is that okay?

Having done some reading up on it, I have determined that it is just about okay - the real difference is not in the beds' comfort but the space and security per carriage. Soft-sleeper compartments provide you with 4 beds and a door for the cabin. Hard-sleeper gets 6 beds in the same space, and does away with the door. Still, if I don't take too many valuables with me, and I don't flash them about, I should be able to keep my goods quite secure. I think there is a hold for check-in baggage, which I may very well make use of.

It's all part of the adventure - I only hope I don't have to use my travel insurance within the first week! Next update will be either just before I leave (Thursday) or just after I arrive (sometime Friday). :)

No comments: